We believe that the Future of Work will favor the Freelancer.
Those that have built personal brands, an audience, and systems for a sustainable independent creative practice will have the advantage of mobility, flexibility, and agility in a shifting marketplace.
We believe that there is a repeatable process that Freelancers can follow to create successful, high paying careers. It includes visualization, goal setting, systems for creating meaningful work, strategies for marketing, and general productivity.
We call that process Art of Freelance.
Get started now!
"I straight up would not have completed my project if it wasn’t for the weekly accountability check-ins. They are the core of why I need a program like this."
- Ryan Schude, Professional Photographer
ART OF FREELANCE IS A 10-WEEK ONLINE COURSE DESIGNED TO:
- Help you define and refine your professional goals using carefully designed exercises that have been proven to work for creative Freelancers and/or those with a “side hustle”.
- Create a roadmap of the projects that will push you to the next step in your career, and help you choose the right project to tackle right now.
- Accomplish that project with the support of real human to human contact in weekly online video check-ins focused on providing feedback and guidance.
- Support you as you market and showcase the work you create during the course.
Get started now!
What if you could wake up in 10 weeks having created a project you’ve been dreaming about? What if you could do it with more grace and ease by having additional support, community, and accountability?
YOU ARE RIGHT FOR THIS COURSE IF:
- You have an idea for a project that you want to tackle, but “can’t find the time”.
- You have lots of ideas for projects, but are looking for clarity and feedback about what project you should tackle next.
- You you want a bigger community and network of other creatives and entrepreneurs.
- You are looking to push your creative career to a new level, start a Freelance practice, or build a “side hustle”.
- You believe that additional accountability would help you accomplish the self-directed projects you know you need to complete.
This course can help veteran Freelancers with established careers, newer Freelancers looking to amplify their current work, those interested in starting a creative Freelance practice, or anyone interested in building a “side hustle”.
It doesn’t matter where in your creative career you are, it only matters that you are interested in creating work that will push it to the next level.
"This program has forced me to take a very specific look at the trajectory of my career and quality of life that I want for myself in the future and it is already becoming life changing for me."
- Sarah Prikryl, Director
At the end of the Spring 2019 course, we will be awarding three Art of Freelance Awards to people with projects we think have the best chance to launch into the marketplace. The Awards will give those creatives access to: financial sponsorship, a work-space residency, mentorship, and relevant introductions.
Grand Jury Award $2,000
Audience Award $1,000
Staff Pick $1,000
Read more about the AF Awards here.
Get started now!
"I can enthusiastically and sincerely say that AoF has absolutely been worth the investment and I am grateful that it came across my path. It introduced a few simple tools I believe will serve me for the rest of my life, and connected me with a supportive group of genuinely interesting, motivated, talented creatives, every single one of whom I am glad to continue to know personally and professionally."
- Jun Ohnuki, Graphic Designer and Production Artist
YOU ARE NOT RIGHT FOR THIS COURSE IF:
- You are looking for specific, tactical advice or direction about finance, accounting, contracts. Your Cohort, Guide, and the general Art of Freelance Community may provide feedback and personal advice about these matters, but the course does not focus on them. The course is about clearly defining your future career path, and then taking a meaningful step towards it by creating and showcasing a badass portfolio project over 10 weeks.
- You are looking for an easy answer, a hack, or “the secret”. We don’t have that. We have a repeatable process that we have seen work hundreds of times. We are a community that will support and encourage you while you do the hard work of creating and marketing a meaningful project. What you get out of the course will be in direct proportion to what you put in.
- You have a bad attitude, think you know all the answers, or you’re a defeatist. We are a positive community that supports each other with passion and encouragement. There will be hard times during this course, guaranteed. If you are honest about tackling an important project, you will face resistance and challenges. Having a Cohort of supportive positive people is crucial. Bring your best self to this course, and community. If that’s not possible, thank you for checking us out, but sayonara!
- You are a flake. This course is about hiring yourself to push your career forward, and treating yourself with the same diligence and respect you would treat a paying client. We know the realities of the changing schedule of a Freelance lifestyle, and have a liberal refund policy, so there is really no risk to signing up, but know that if you consistently don’t show up for your Cohort, you will be asked to leave.
"This program was so amazing and valuable. It’s hard for me to sit and work on personal projects, and this was the push that I needed."
- Kimi Lewis, Award Winning Illustrator/Designer/Art Director, Senior Product Designer The Noun Project
- The Art of Freelance 10-Week Course was designed by hyper successful freelancers and top academics to give you the maximum impact for the time you invest.
- We will help you clarify your big picture goals and career path.
- You will be pushed to develop your portfolio with the kind of work you want to be hired for.
- You will have the opportunity to Showcase your work to our community and network.
- We are a growing global community of creatives providing referrals, feedback, support, encouragement, and inspiration.
Get started now!
“Art of Freelance helped me get the inspired, unorganized, pile of ideas out of my head and into a usable structure that I could share with other humans. AF brought structure to my thought bombs and provided a schedule and a team of fellow humans to support me, motivate me, and hold me accountable to my own dreams.”
- Baratunde Thurston, Futurist Comedian, Writer, Cultural Critic, and Author of "How to Be Black"
We are so confident that you will love this course that we offer a 100%, no questions, 30 day money back guarantee.
Our Spring Course starts March 26 and culminates on June 6.
Art of Freelance Team
Mathieu Young, CEO & Founder
Mathieu Young is a professional freelance photographer and director who has served the giants (American Express, AT&T, Bose, Samsung, Showtime, HBO, Paramount Pictures) and won awards for social enterprise campaigns in Tanzania, Kenya, Cambodia, and Nicaragua. He is the founder of Art of Freelance and Kensington Presents, a pop-up concert series in collaboration with California State Parks.
Nina Beckhardt, Co-Founder
With over a decade of experience running global creative agencies, Nina is a recognized authority on brand naming and longtime mentor of creative professionals. In addition to leading work with Proctor & Gamble, GM, Target, PUMA, Capital One, EPSON and Dow Jones she has been published in The Economist, Forbes, CNN, WSJ, appeared on the Emmy Award-winning television show, Autoline Detroit, and has presented on brand innovation in corporate boardrooms and entrepreneurship classrooms.
Dr. Elizabeth Shin, Curriculum Designer
A master of curriculum design, Elizabeth has designed & taught over 150 courses for both the online & on-ground campuses at University of Phoenix. Her long list of degrees including a Doctorate in Education with a specialization in Educational Technologies (Pepperdine), M.A. in Comparative Film & Literature (USC) and a M.A. in English Literature (UC Irvine) points to her multi-faceted approach to creating learning experiences.
Elizabeth Stewart, Co-Founder
Elizabeth is a powerhouse civic leader and entrepreneurship champion with 8 years experience building early stage start-ups. As a Coro leadership fellow, Founder and Founding CEO of Impact Hub Los Angeles, and Founding Executive Director of Civic Hall Labs NYC, it’s no wonder she was featured in Fast Company’s 100 Most Creative People 2013 issue and profiled in Forbes.com as “a woman changing the LA entrepreneur landscape.”